History



ONE OF THE FIRST GOLF
CLUBS ON THE COSTA BRAVA

The Club de Golf Costa Brava was set up in 1962 in Santa Cristina d’Aro, though it was not until 1968 that the 18-hole course was opened. It was designed by John Hamilton Stutt (first on the left in the photo), a founder member of the British Association of Golf Course Architects, responsible for over 120 projects in Europe and the Middle East and, alongside other designers, for the building of landmark courses like Turnberry – Ailsa Course (with Mackenzie Ross), St Mellion Old, Meon Valley and Woodbury Park in Exeter.
Its building coincided with the explosion of social life in the area, especially in the towns of S’Agaró and Platja d’Aro.
This led to many European and American film stars and jet setters frequenting its facilities. They included Sean Connery, who played on the recently-opened course alongside top British professionals.
The design of the course, rolling over the smooth slopes dotted with pines and holm oaks of the Cadiretes massif, kept the old farmhouse, dating from 1841, as its club house. Over the years, this house has become an authentic symbol of the club and has silently witnessed countless days of golf and social events on the Costa Brava over the years.

 

 

The 18-hole golf course opened in 1968 was designed by Hamilton Stutt & Co .. It combines a very technical course in the first round with another much more relaxed in the second. The first nine holes, surrounded by forests of pines and cork oaks, are different from the other nine located on the plain with very wide streets, which take us to the 18th hole, under the Club House, typical Catalan farmhouse from 1841.

 

 

 

 

Copyright Club de Golf Costa Brava © 2019